Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cheese & Corn Chowder

I am so excited to share this, my favorite soup of all time, with you!  There isn't really much I can say about it, except that it is amazing!  The first time I made this soup nearly two years ago, I said to Jason that we had just consumed heaven in a bowl.  Big words, for just a small bowl of soup...but it really was that good.  I have made it countless times since then, and it has been every bit as good, each and every time.  Lucky for me, my family loves this just as much as I do and not a complaint is muttered, whenever it is on the menu.  I hope you love it as much as we do!

Cheese and Corn Chowder

Makes 12 cups

5 strips of bacon, diced
2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
a pinch of cayenne pepper
6 cups chicken broth
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (I have left mine unpeeled many times)
1 cup diced or cubed, cooked ham (optional...but highly, highly recommended!)
4-5 cups frozen corn
1 cup heavy cream (I have used half-and-half with good results; it is just much less creamy)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 ounces cream cheese

Saute bacon in a skillet.  Once it is crispy, transfer it to the pot that the soup will eventually be housed in.  Now saute the celery and onion in the bacon grease, adding the spices.  Once the vegetables are soft, add the flour, coating the veggies.  Stir and cook for about a minute.  Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring to combine.  Add the potatoes and corn and bring to a boil simmering about 10-12 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.  Stir in cream, cheddar cheese, and cream cheese.  Simmer just until the cheese melts.

Recipe Source:  Slightly adapted from Simply Yum

I shared this tasty recipe at these blogs:

9 comments:

  1. Corn chowder is one of my favorite things ever. I need to try this version!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by!! I hope you like it! It is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at bacon! This soup sounds delicious and just right for a cold winter evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is how I am about bacon! It gives this soup such a good flavor! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Yum! I'd give just about anything to have a bowl of this soup on this cold winters night! YUM. xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really shouldn't be looking at your yummy blog before I've eaten breakfast, lol! It's making me super hungry!

    Thanks for sharing at my link party this weekend :) Hope to see you again next weekend!

    Shauna {The Best Blog Recipes}
    http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this on Foodie Friends Friday. It sounds so good now that we are having frigid temps.

    Joanne/Winelady Cooks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Question. If I have an aversion to celery and onions, am I aced out as far as this soup is concerned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so. I think you could replace them with carrots or just leave them out completely, and maybe add an extra potato or something. You might be altering the flavor a little bit by taking out the onions, but the bacon and the spices provide such a good flavor, that I think it would be totally fine.

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers! I read every single comment and I really appreciate them! Thanks for taking the time to comment! Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...