Friday, January 11, 2013

Broccoli & Garlic Pasta


If you happened to ready my About page, then you already know how I started my marriage as a dreadful cook.  Absolutely dreadful.  I mentioned how I burned spaghetti once, and that is not even a lie.  For three years, I really did nothing to improve upon my cooking or baking skills.  Our go to meals were frozen pizzas, Stroganoff hamburger helper and, burritos made with canned refried beans and enchilada sauce.  Occasionally we would treat ourselves to a frozen Jenny-O turkey loaf with both white and dark meat...that is right, we were living totally gourmet.  Upon entering the grocery store, we made a bee-line for the frozen food section every time to see what treasures we could find for meal time.  The only real meal either of us ate during the week was that blessed Sunday dinner when we went to either my parents or Jason's.  It wasn't until I quit working when my first baby was one years old that I decided we needed to make some changes.  I was going to be leaving my job of 7 years to be a stay at home mom full time and I planned on jumping head first into total domesticity.  Of course, as they rarely do, things didn't quite play out the way I had anticipated.  I didn't realize there would be such a learning curve in becoming a domestic diva!  But obviously there is.  And here I am on my 5th year of being a stay-at-home mom/wife and there is still so much to learn and so far to go.  Anyhow, after I quit my job, I was on a mission to discover some quick and easy meals that I could make that would still impress the husband.  Although, its not as if that should have been too difficult considering what he had been living on for 3 years!  This was one of the first recipes that I found and tried and we still enjoy it today.  It is great in its simplicity and even my kids will eat it!  Double win!

Broccoli & Garlic Pasta

12 ounces uncooked linguine or fettuccine
5 cups broccoli florets
3 garlic cloves minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups chicken broth, divided
2 Tablespoons dried parsley
1/2 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
Shredded Parmesan cheese for serving

Cook pasta according to directions on the package.  In a large skillet, saute garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat for 1 minute or until fragrant.  Do not let garlic burn or it will turn bitter.  Add the broccoli, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup of chicken broth.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until broccoli is tender. Drain pasta and add to the skillet.  Stir in parsley and Italian 
seasonings and remaining broth.  Serve immediately, with generous amounts of Parmesan cheese.

Recipe Source:  Heavily Adapted from Taste of Home

I linked up:

2 comments:

  1. I really like ham and peas in my pasta. I like salmon loaf with peas in
    product sauce. So how could I not absolutely love this dish.
    ...better of all worlds. Many thanks to the article.


    Also visit my web page; xbox 720 required internet connection

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just received a check for $500.

    Many times people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can get taking paid surveys online...

    So I show them a video of myself actually getting paid $500 for doing paid surveys.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! I read every single comment and I really appreciate them! Thanks for taking the time to comment! Have a wonderful day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...